Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Quest for the Best Chocolate Chip Cookie

I've found my all-time favorite chocolate chip cookie in Edmond, Oklahoma at Old School Bagel Cafe. I blogged about this place once before because my husband and I are frequent customers. They have the best bagels, the best mochas (with all kind of fun flavors), AND the best chocolate chip cookies. They are soft and chewy and huge. They are thick, not crispy at all, just perfect. I've decided these are the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had.

Now my quest is to figure out how to make them at home. Here's my first attempt. I have to say I am pretty darn close to getting it right... I hope you'll try it and let me know what you think. I realize that my favorite type of chocolate chip cookie might not be the same as your favorite --- some like soft and chewy, while others like more crispy, or others like cake-like cookies. This recipe is for the cookie dough lover - thick, soft, chewy - YUM!
Thick, Soft, & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
3 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons white sugar
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 egg yolk + 1/2 egg white
3/4 cup bread flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup chocolate chips

In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy. Add the egg yolk and white and mix. Slowly mix in the flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir in the chocolate chips using a wooden spoon or spatula.

Using an ice cream scoop, create about 4 large balls of cookie dough (about two-inch balls) and place on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. You should only get about 4 huge cookies out of this recipe.

Place the unbaked cookies in the freezer for about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 370 degrees. Remove the cookies (on the parchment paper on the cookie sheet) from the freezer and place in the oven immediately. Bake 10 minutes (do not overbake them).

Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the parchment paper. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment