Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes

After years and years of practice, I have a decent buttercream frosting recipe that I use as the starting point for just about every flavor. I recently created this Mexican chocolate frosting and oh-my-gosh... it's out of this world. I am definitely not one to brag and if no one else likes the frosting, my feelings will not be hurt (because I will get to eat it all), but this little frosting I created is really, really good.

Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes
2 sticks butter, at room temperature
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 to 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons water or milk
12 chocolate cupcakes
4 filled rolled wafer cookies (I used Pepperidge Farm creme filled Pirouette cookies)

Using an electric mixer, whip the butter and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and 1 tablespoon cinnamon and mix at low speed until combined. Add the water and whip until light and fluffy (about 3 to 5 minutes). You have to taste it to see what you think... it should have a hint of cinnamon, but the cinnamon shouldn't over power the chocolate. Add more cinnamon to your liking. Also if the frosting is too stiff, add a teaspoon of water or milk to thin a bit.

I had a dozen chocolate cupcakes already prepared. You can use your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe. Here's a link to my dairy-free chocolate cupcakes.

Using a spatula or pastry bag, frost each cupcake with the Mexican chocolate frosting. Decorate with 1/3 of a Pirouette cookie. It slightly resembles a cinnamon stick, but tastes much better than biting into a whole cinnamon stick.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment