Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Halo Cake

This is just a quick post to share a cake that I made recently for a birthday. The request was "Halo" (as in the video game kind, not the angel kind). The birthday boy found a picture of a cake that he liked so I used that (and some images I found online of Halo screenshots) as my inspiration.


 The key to the clean lines of this Halo symbol is an x-acto knife. I have one that stays in my cake decorating toolbox for this very purpose. It allows me to cut the fondant exactly the way I want it.

I really enjoyed painting these scenes from the video game onto the cake. I first cut the panels out of white fondant and attached them to the cake. Then used gel paste food coloring mixed with a tiny bit of vodka (you can use any clear alcohol) and used a small paint brush to design these. This paint brush stays in my cake decorating toolbox too. Tip: when you're painting fondant, you only need a tiny tiny amount of alcohol to thin the food coloring. It evaporates very quickly so it doesn't leave your artwork looking wet (water doesn't evaporate as quickly so it doesn't work as well for painting).

I hope this gives you some inspiration to try fondant painting. You can try abstract at first just to get the hang of it! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment