Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Chicken Curry

I love Indian curry dishes and Thai curry dishes. They are so flavorful and just plain delicious! For years I've been trying to make different types of curry meals at home that are similar to those I enjoy at Indian or various Asian restaurants. But I fail every time... they just never have the right flavor. I've tried countless curry powders and curry pastes in my sauces.

Some day I will succeed! Until then, I will cheat - hahaha! I've found a brand of Indian-style curry simmer sauces at our local market that I really enjoy. You may not be able to find the exact same brand in your area, but look for something similar. It will likely be in the isle that contains other ethnic ingredients (probably near Asian ingredients).


Chicken Curry
2 pounds chicken breast, cut into thin 1 inch pieces
2 bell peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
5 large carrots, cut into thin 1 inch pieces
1 onion (I used Vidalia), roughly chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 jars Kashmiri Curry sauce
2 cups water
salt & pepper
2 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup green onions, minced (green part only)

First off let me tell you that I made a very large batch of this chicken curry to feed myself and the four men in my house. You could always do half of this recipe if you don't have teenage boys in your house.

In a small saucepan, boil the carrots in 2 cups of water. Drizzle the olive oil in a large stockpot and add the chicken, peppers, and onion. Season with salt & pepper. Cover and cook until the chicken is opaque and the vegetables are beginning to soften. Add the carrots and the sauce (I use the water from the carrots to rinse the jars of sauce and add to the pot to get as much flavor as possible). Cover and simmer on low for about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer about 5 more minutes to thicken the sauce slightly.

Serve with rice and flatbread. Garnish with green onion.

My favorite sauce so far in this line is the Tikki Masala simmer sauce. If you can find a Tikki Masala in your market, try it out in place of the Kashmiri Curry sauce I used in this recipe.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment