Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Poached Eggs & Parmesan On Toast

I am a huge fan of eggs benedict. Actually, I'm a huge fan of just about any kind of egg. As a kid, my favorite was sunny side up with toast on the side so I could dip it in that warm, runny egg yolk. Yumm!! I still whip one up now and then, usually for a quick dinner. Eggs benedict became one of my favorites as an adult - no surprise there I suppose. Eggs benedict can be kind of involved to make because of the hollandaise sauce. This recipe is similar, but the ham is replaced with parmesan and the hollandaise is replaced with basil oil. I think it's actually rather luscious.


Poached Eggs & Parmesan on Toast
1/3 cup basil leaves, packed
1/3 cup olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
4 eggs
sliced brioche or challah bread, toasted
parmesan cheese, shaved
1 tablespoon vinegar

First, puree the basil leaves and olive oil in a blender or food processor. I actually used my Magic Bullet (so quick and handy for little sauces like this). Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.

Fill a pot or 2-inch deep pan with about 1 1/2 inches of water. Stir in the vinegar. Bring to a boil and set to just simmer.

While you're waiting for the water to simmer, plate the toasts and top with the shaved parmesan so you can be sure to serve the eggs warm as soon as they are cooked.

When the water is simmering, crack an egg into the water. Try to crack the egg and dump it all in at once so that the white holds close to the yolk. Depending on the size of your pan, you may be able to cook more that one at at time. Cook for 3 minutes.  Remove each poached egg from the water using a slotted spoon. Carefully place an egg on top of each prepared toast. Sprinkle with salt & pepper if desired. Drizzle with basil oil. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!
recipe slightly adapted from foodandwine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment