Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal

I saw this recipe on one of my favorite food blogs, Annie's Eats, a long time ago. If  you've never seen it, you should check it out. Annie has some wonderful and practical recipes along with nice photos. I've been waiting for fall so I could try this baked pumpkin oatmeal. I love pumpkin and this was a perfect gluten-free breakfast to make for Katie. Knowing she's also an oatmeal fan, I thought it was a good choice for a cloudy Sunday morning. Mark's not a huge fan of oatmeal - he says he had to eat it waaayy too much as a kid, - but even he said this oatmeal was tasty. Try it next time you're looking for a warm fall breakfast. It makes a large amount, but I think it will reheat well.

Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal
1 cup steel-cut oats
4 tablespoons butter
4 cups hot water
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
dash cloves
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

Put the steel-cut oats in a large bowl with the butter. Pour hot water over the oats and cover. Let them sit for 20 minutes.

Stir in the old-fashioned oats, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Whisk the pumpkin, milk, vanilla, and syrup in a small bowl, then add to the oat mixture. Pour it all into a large greased baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for  35 to 40 minutes.

Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.

I served the oatmeal with berries. Annie's recipe calls for caramelized bananas in the oatmeal. Other's have said they tried apples in the oatmeal. I think it's perfect with nothing or with a few berries. Whatever you decide to do... Enjoy!

recipe slightly adapated from Annies Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment