Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Connie's Ginger Snaps

I had a plan to post this recipe quite a long time ago, but then I got carried away with all of the excitement of the holidays and never finished this post. So please forgive the photos that have some fall decor in the background --- Connie's Ginger Snaps are good in the fall or the winter (or anytime, really)! These cookies are one of my all-time favorites. They're also one of Mark's favorites (ever since he was a kid). I couldn't wait for the fall weather to kick in so I could make up a batch of these ginger snaps. They are actually not that "snappy" or crispy. They are definitely more of a soft, chewy cookie - exactly the way I like them. If you need a quick dessert or treat, you can put these together easily and they'll be a huge hit - promise! They go extremely well with a warm cup of tea in the evening. I have my mother-in-law, Connie, to thank for this recipe. Sadly she passed away several years ago, but I always think of her when I make these.


Connie's Ginger Snaps
3/4 cup shortening (Crisco)
1 cup sugar (plus more for rolling and sprinkling)
1 egg
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
2 heaping teaspoons ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 tablespoons molasses

Mix flour, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. In a separate large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar using an electric mixer. Mix in the egg and molasses. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.

could that recipe be any easier?! love it!

I use a small cookie scoop measure out equal amounts of dough. You could also use a tablespoon. Roll about 2 tablespoons of dough into balls. Roll the dough in granulated sugar and place on an ungreased baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Use the palm of your hand or the bottom of a clean glass to flatten each cookie a bit.


Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, sprinkle with a little more sugar. Cool completely. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment