Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Slow-Cooked Spicy Adobo Pork

I'm a big fan of making pulled pork in the slow cooker, but I kind of get tired of using the same recipe over and over again. I love the Cuban pulled pork (that's the one I probably make the most)... it's relatively plain and can be made into a classic Cuban sandwich or a barbecued pork sandwich by simply adding bbq sauce or I can use it in a carnitas taco with guacamole. I also made this korean pork taco recipe which was absolutely phenomenal. When I ran across this recipe on ThePioneerWoman.com, I decided to give it a try. Her recipe doesn't use the slow cooker, but it was easy to adapt. It is delicious! You've got to give it a try. I created a simple barbecued pulled pork sandwich, but you could also make this a gluten-free dinner by putting it in a corn tortilla with your favorite salsa or guacamole and some cilantro.


Spicy Adobo Pork
5 pound pork loin or pork roast
1 large onion
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 cans Dr. Pepper
salt & pepper

Halve the onion and remove the outer skin. Slice the onion thinly and add to your slow cooker. Trim excess fat from the pork loin and sit the meat on top of the onions in the slow cooker. Sprinkle brown sugar on top of the pork and season with salt & pepper. Add the chipotle peppers and the sauce (if you like spicy, then add the whole can... but if you don't want the pork to be too spicy or if you're serving it to kids, just use half of the can). Pour in the Dr. Pepper and put the lid on. Cook for 4 hours on high or 6 to 7 hours on low until the pork is tender and pulls apart easily. Shred the pork with two forks (or I like to use a pair of kitchen shears to separate and cut the meat). 


Pile a generous amount of pork onto a toasted roll (I found these fresh-baked onion rolls at my local market - yum!). Drizzle with your favorite bbq sauce. Enjoy!


slightly adapted from thepioneerwoman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment