Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

Grilled Miso Salmon

I think this is my favorite salmon recipe. I've been making it for years now. Actually I think it's the first thing I made for my parents when they visited us in California. Usually I prep the sauce and fish, then Mark grills it. It is simple to make and so delicious. Serve it with some rice and your favorite grilled or sauteed veggies. I hope you like it.
 

The only challenge of this recipe is the miso paste. I never had a problem finding it in southern California, but here in Oklahoma City... now that's a different story. I went to at least five different markets searching for any kind of miso paste. Most places told me they had no idea what I was talking about. Some tried to give me instant miso soup (definitely not what I was looking for). Just by pure luck we happened to wander into a little gourmet market in Tulsa recently and found the miso paste I had been looking for.  Hooray! Now I can share this recipe with you! When you are looking for miso paste, it is typically in the refrigerated section near the produce (or with the produce), sometimes near the herbs.


Grilled Miso Salmon
4 salmon fillets
1/2 cup white or yellow miso paste
1/4 cup sake or white wine
1 tablespoon soy sauce
wasabi paste (optional)

for the miso sauce
1/2 cup sake or white wine
1 cup chicken broth or fish stock
1/4 cup white or yellow miso paste
2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon soy sauce

prep the fish...
In a small bowl, combine the miso paste, wine, and soy sauce. Brush the mixture on the salmon. Heat the grill.

meanwhile,
prep the miso sauce...
Whisk together the wine, broth, miso, ginger, and onion in a small saucepan. In a small bowl, stir the cornstarch into the soy sauce and set aside. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring liquid to a boil. Reduce by half. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and return to the heat, whisking until slightly thickened (about 1 minute). Keep warm until ready to serve.

Grill the salmon over medium heat about 7 minutes on each side or until cooked through.

Spoon the sauce over the fish. Serve with veggies and rice if desired. Enjoy!!

You can serve the salmon with some wasabi on the side. You should be able to buy wasabi powder in the Asian section of your local market. You mix equal parts powder and water in a small bowl (you only need about a teaspoon). Cover with plastic wrap, and let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes.

recipe adapted from Williams Sonoma Grilling cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment